India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) is a specialized and independent Business Division within the Digital India Corporation that aims to build a vibrant semiconductor and display ecosystem to enable India’s emergence as a global hub for electronics manufacturing and design. Led by global experts of the Semiconductor and display ecosystem the mission aims to serve as a focal point for the comprehensive, coherent, efficient, and smooth deployment of the Program for Development of Semiconductor and Display Ecosystem in consultation with the Government ministries/departments/agencies, industry, and academia.
India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) as an Independent Business Division within Digital India Corporation with administrative and financial autonomy to drive India’s strategies for developing semiconductors and display manufacturing ecosystem, and to act as nodal agency for this purpose as outlined below
- India Semiconductor Mission is authorized to negotiate with the applicants under the semiconductor fab scheme and the display fab scheme to decide the appropriate technology mix, applications, node size(s) / generation, capacity, etc., and propose the structure and quantum of fiscal support for the selected applicant(s) under Semiconductor Fab Scheme and Display Fab Scheme.
- India Semiconductor Mission may recommend one or more applicants under the Semiconductor Fab Scheme depending on the receipt of applications under the Scheme.
- Under the Display Fab Scheme also, India Semiconductor Mission may recommend one or more applicants depending on the receipt of applications under the Scheme.
To build a vibrant semiconductor and display ecosystem to enable India’s emergence as a global hub for electronics manufacturing and design.
ISM has been proposed with the objective to:
- Formulate a comprehensive long-term strategy for developing sustainable semiconductors and display manufacturing facilities and semiconductor design eco-system in the country in consultation with the Government ministries/departments/agencies, industry, and academia.
- Facilitate the adoption of secure microelectronics and developing a trusted semiconductor supply chain, including raw materials, specialty chemicals, gases, and manufacturing equipment.
- Enable a multi-fold growth of the Indian semiconductor design industry by providing requisite support in the form of Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools, foundry services and other suitable mechanisms for early-stage startups.
- Promote and facilitate indigenous Intellectual Property (IP) generation.
- Encourage, enable and incentivize Transfer of Technologies (ToT).
- Establish suitable mechanisms to harness economies of scale in Indian semiconductor and display industry.
- Enable cutting-edge research in semiconductors and display industry including evolutionary and revolutionary technologies through grants, global collaborations and other mechanisms in academia/research institutions, industry, and through establishing Centres of Excellence (CoEs).
- Enable collaborations and partnership programs with national and international agencies, industries and institutions for catalyzing collaborative research, commercialization and skill development.
The management structure for ISM has been proposed as under
- ISM will be headed by a Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- The business division will be run by a professional management including an Additional Chief Executive Officer, Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Strategy Officer (CSO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Chief Business Development Officer (CBDO), etc. who shall be assisted by domain / functional experts from the industry.
- The key management personnel i.e. Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Additional Chief Executive Officer, a Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Strategy Officer (CSO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Chief Business Development Officer (CBDO), etc. shall be selected inter-alia from industry by a Search-cum-Selection Committee headed by Secretary, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology. The salary and emoluments of key management personnel shall be commensurate with the industry standards.
- ISM will have an advisory committee comprising of representatives of Principal Scientific Advisor to Government of India, National Security Advisor, NITI Aayog, Ministry of External Affairs, Department of Expenditure etc. and other eminent experts with experience in global semiconductor and display industry and research to be nominated by Chairman of the Board of Directors of Digital India Corporation.
The following functions have been proposed to be undertaken by ISM
- Advise the Government of India on matters relating to the growth and development of the semiconductors and display ecosystem in India.
- Engage with global technology majors, government stakeholders, industry, academia, and experts for attracting semiconductor design and manufacturing investments in India.
- Act as the first reference point for any investor interested in setting up a semiconductor or display manufacturing facility in India.
- Implement schemes/activities related to semiconductor manufacturing including display fabrication, semiconductor packaging, etc.
- Perform techno-commercial evaluation of proposals and engage with the applicants under the semiconductor and display schemes and carry out negotiations with them to propose the appropriate technology mix, applications, node size(s) / generation, capacity, etc. and structure and quantum of fiscal support under the scheme.
- Facilitate the development of supply chain i.e. vital raw materials such as semiconductor wafers, specialty, and high purity gasses, chemicals, tools/equipment etc. for semiconductors and display manufacturing vii.
- Facilitate policies for Intellectual Property (IP) generation, licensing, and protection with incentives for developers of IP and uptake of advancements in the industry to create a vibrant IP market.
- Promote and facilitate research and innovation, evolutionary and disruptive technologies in the state-of-the-art semiconductor and display ecosystems by enabling research groups, funding, facilities, international and industry academic collaborations, etc.
- Fund commercial/research projects and Centres of Excellence for the development of the semiconductor and display ecosystem
- Organize and support training/skilling programmes for the development of the semiconductor and display ecosystem.
- Support implementation of identified projects in semiconductors and display manufacturing and coordinate actions of various government ministries/departments/agencies in the Government of India and State Governments for speedy implementation
- Onboard required expertise for achieving mandated objectives. CEO ISM will have the power to hire such personnel as required from time to time for the fulfillment of such objectives.
- Discharge such other functions or exercise such powers as may be considered necessary for the achievement of the objectives or as may be decided by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)